Municipal Light Plant
In 1915, the first light plant was built for the City of Yuma. Two diesel engine generators were installed at the light plant in 1937, which were two and three cylinder motors. In 1938, a large six-cylinder motor was put to work. Then in 1948, a new 805 hp seven cylinder generating unit was installed. These units are still in place at the light plant but are no longer in use.
First Street Light
On August 19, 1951 the first mercury street lights were put out into the system servicing three blocks.